Tuesday, January 29, 2008

On Wikis

Yesterday I created my first WIKI, and today I figured out out how to put a table in it. The trick is to use the coding language. I downloaded a bit of bibliography as tab separated text from Filemaker Pro, then made some substitutions, of tabs for the vertical lines. Then I pasted it in the Wiki edit window, and it all worked.

You can see the result in

http://ialvarius.wikispaces.com/

I was always thinking of Wikis in terms of Databases which I could allow scholars to add to -- which is what I want to use it for -- but, looking at some of the examples my fellow professors have, I see now that the Wiki is another way of doing web pages. I wonder if doing web pages via Wiki is easier than doing them via Blackboard. There certainly seems some pretty clever things one can do - -how easily I do not yet know.

1 comment:

Peter Campbell said...

Wikis are just like web pages, but require no special software. The great thing is they allow people to collaborate on creating documents.